Friday, July 07, 2006

Writing and Unwriting

First, I want to thank the judges of the Golden Crown Literary Society Awards (the "Goldies") for short-listing Counterfeit World for best science fiction novel and best debut novel of 2005. Okay, so it didn't win either award--but it was noticed, and I appreciate that.

Secondly, I had a great time at the GCLS Convention in Atlanta. It was a time to learn more about my craft (and I don't mean boating), to see old friends, and to make new ones. I actually took part in a panel this year, the Special Worlds panel about why we bother to write speculative fiction when so many people don't bother to read it. I was honored to sit at a table with Jean Stewart, Jane Fletcher, and Justine Saracen with Karin Kallmaker acting as the moderator. I not only didn't faint, introvert that I am, but I actually managed a few coherent sentences. Okay, so I kept grabbing the mike, and Karin probably wished I would faint. But the audience was receptive to what we panelists had to say, and I was left feeling that they like us, they really like us!

And thirdly--1, 2, yes, 3--I've been writing like crazy since I got back from Atlanta. And unwriting like... well... like crazier.

There's a name for a book which is revised while it is being written: an unfinished novel. But I've just written Chapter Thirteen of my new novel--twice--and have unwritten and rewritten Chapters Three, Five, Nine, Ten and Twelve. But I will finish it. You see, I've figured out what this novel is ABOUT and what it is NOT ABOUT. From here on, it's just a matter of putting in more of what it is ABOUT and leaving out what it is NOT ABOUT. Simple, right?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you had a good time in Atlanta! Wish I could have gone. Maybe next year.

;)

Rie

3:36 PM  
Blogger haykind said...

I want to buy a copy of Counterfeit World!!!!!!!!!

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home